Whether or not you know what video file formats are and what they are, you’re just watching videos. Maybe you can see in what format the video you are in is being played. Of course, there is not much need to see it.
But those who work with video, create videos or edit videos for YouTube or Facebook, need to have an idea about all kinds of video file formats.
There are usually 9 types of video file formats. These are-
Let us now know the full form and brief introduction of each of them-
- MP4: This is basically MPEG-4 Part 14 which is a digital multimedia container format.
- MOV: MOV is a Movie MPEG-4 video container format also known as QuickTime File Format.
- WMV: WMV stands for Windows Media Video which is a product of technology giant “Microsoft”.
- FLV: The FLV short form is taken from Flash Video. And it is basically a flash player video format for playing on the website.
- AVI: AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave which can hold both audio and video in the same container. This is also a file format created by Microsoft.
- WebM: WebM is basically an HTML-5 file format for the web known as the audio visual media file format.
- MKV: MKV is Matroska Multimedia Container which is an open standard container video format.
Also, there are some more video codec formats. They are-
- HEVC (H.265)
Hopefully, this general idea about video file format will help you a little bit, especially if you are involved with video making.